Advance Planning Options
Many people plan for life events such as weddings and vacations well in advance, but many people do not plan for something that is certain to happen -- their funeral. While most people do not want to think about their own mortality, the time to plan your funeral in advance is now. The primary advantages of advance planning your funeral is to relieve the burden on your loved ones in an already emotional time, and to ensure your funeral is carried out according to your wishes, eliminating the task of second-guessing what you would have wanted. Taking the time now to arrange your funeral is one less thing your loved ones will need to worry about once you’ve passed. Advance planning and pre-paying your funeral is one of the most thoughtful gifts you can give to your family.
What you can do in advance…
- Decide on burial or cremation and your casket or urn type.
- Pick what type of service you want (religious, military, non-traditional)
- Choose which funeral home to use.
- Designate your pallbearers, pick any music or readings you want at your service.
Benefits of Advance Planning
- Between 70 and 75 decisions are made within the first 24-48 hours of death. It’s difficult to think rationally while making so many decisions within days of losing someone, preplanning gives yourself, family and friends peace of mind. Advance planning gives your loved ones direction of your desires.
- It’s easy. Anyone can do it, and you can change your mind at any time.